Friday, September 11, 2009

it is a miracle!

On Tuesday I had finally decided that my pregnancy was a figment of my imagination! I called my dr. and begged to be induced right that minute. He told me no and that the soonest it could happen was Thursday or Friday. I got off the phone and I cried. I sat on Bella's bed and cried. I knew that I couldn't last that long. Tacey and I went for a walk at the mall for about an hour while Bella was at dance.
No real contractions were happening (except the ones that I have been having for days). I went about my normal day.
That night I decided to continue my walking habit from the last few desperate nights. I walked and the kids rode their bikes about 1 1/2 miles. As I was walking my contractions got closer to about 10 minutes apart. I was excited, but when I got home they slowed down again. Tacey and Diantha came over for a few minutes to say bye (Diantha) and my contractions were somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes apart but I didn't think they would last. Tacey checked on me about an hour later and they were still the same (Yeah!) but I was waiting for Joe to get home from work. So when he got home we decided to take the kids over to Tacey's house just in case and by the time we got there (see Tacey's blog) and back, I was in PAIN! I grabbed my stuff and headed to the hospital. I checked in slowly at the hospital, procrastinating I think, then when we got up there, All hell broke loose!
The nurse checked me and I was at a 7! I started freaking out because I was supposed to be at a 4 so I had plenty of time to get my epidural that I had been looking forward to my whole pregnancy! We didn't even have time to call Tacey and Diantha to come watch the glorious delivery.
The epidural guy ( I would write it but it takes to long to think of how to spell) came pretty quickly but by then I was in full blown delivery mode! They made me roll on my side, tuck my head and my legs, remember I am still having huge contractions, while he tried to get me what I needed. I remember yelling about how I was not going to push, although it is amazing how your body does what it wants, and thinking how in the world was the epidural guy not done by now!
Finally somehow, I don't know how long or anything else that happened, but I got a spinal block in time to push my sweetheart out! I could still feel what felt like the dr trying to make a small hole much bigger and pushing something out way to big. It only took about 3 pushes and a little over an hour at the hospital before Vincent was here. He came out so fast that the nurses couldn't figure out why his face was so blue and his body was so pink. Finally they decided his entire face was bruised from coming out so fast!
Joe told me after that I kept knocking over the epidural stuff and that is what took so long. But all I remember is screaming and the nurse telling me nonsense about breathing deeply and slowly! Yeah right!!
Vincent Samuel Strain was born on 9/9/09 (way cool huh) at 12:45 am. So the way I figure it I was in labor from 9 -1. 4 hours isn't bad right!
I would like to say wow to those brave, strong women who do natural births! There is no way that I wanted one and I was so relieved when I got what I had of a block. And there is no way I would ever consider going natural on a next delivery. I am way to much of a wimp to ever do that again!
Now to make a long story longer here are some pictures of my sweetness.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Wow what a quick delivery-I'm so glad that all went well and hope you are feeling on the mend :) He is one handsome little guy. Am loving his hat, and the pictures of him with his big bro and sis are adorable. Congratulations, Mari and Joe!

Emiko said...

Congratulations!! Thankyou for letting me come up and see Vinny! I had a lot of fun, I just wish I could have done more for you while I was there. Thanks Joe for putting up with me.

Rachel said...

super sweet
he looks marvelous!!
labor and delivery - wow, we won't go there, hopefully it is a vague memory by now!!

congrats!!!

ToRi and cReW said...

Congrats Mari!
I am glad that he finally decided to come see everyone. You are one tough cookie!

Love ya--TORI