Sunday, January 25, 2009
Grandma's and Grandpa's
When we go down to grandma's and grandpa's house I forget how important the experience is for Cole and Bella. As soon as they step out of the car their eyes start to sparkle and off they run. This time it was to the swing. It was maybe 35 degrees and all they cared about was swinging. I was amazed! Through out the weekend I kept experiencing these moments where I came to realize that grandma's and grandpa's is a magical place. They don't have video games and I don't let them watch TV the whole time they are there yet they cannot wait for each day to begin.
Grandpa was given some chickens about a month ago and when the kids realized that the chickens laid eggs and that they could gather them, they checked at least 5 times a day. Cole was outside many times "herding" the chickens to their roost so that they would lay eggs. Cole was very good at explaining to us what and how the chickens were doing. He said the "blond" one must of laid the white egg. Even though there were no white eggs. He also said that when a hen that was in a grain bucket laying an egg and after we kept reminding him to leave it alone, he came in with a very warm egg and said, "It was going to lay like 3 more but I scared it away!"
Bella was grandpa's best buddy, anywhere he went she was determined to go. When they went down to the field to feed the animals they pulled a dead deer out of the fence. It didn't faze her at all that it was dead. The only thing she said was when they got back into the truck that grandpa needed to be careful not to run it over.
It is unfortunate that my kids do not experience this regularly. Maybe it would ruin the magic, but I doubt it. To be able to spend one on one time with grandma and grandpa is magical, no matter how often.
I know for me every time I go over the summit and I get my first glimpse of home with the sun shining and miles and miles of home, it is still magical. Even though my heart is where the love of my life and my kids are, there is still nothing like the peace of being home!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I so know how you feel! We didn't realize what we had growing up, we had a wonderful childhood!
Post a Comment